Friday, April 2, 2010

Assignment 1: Me myself & I

any people often overlook the importance of the designing process and jump into the draft / final product.

The designing process consists of brainstorming, thumb-nailing, sketches, roughs and finally the final completed piece, which still require a process of evaluation and feedback to further improve it.

Well, at lecture we were tasked with the brainstorming and thumbnail process, by writing down words related to oneself in various aspects, then from these draw ideas for several thumbnails to widen our scope of ideas, so that better ideas could be sieved from within and built on.





Subsequently, from these thumbnails, we have to come up with four sketches, where our scope will be narrowed down from the wide range of ideas in the brainstorming stage. I have selected the following four ideas for exploration.

In the end, i decided to use the bottom left idea of a person breakdancing as I felt it was more abstract and I wish to portray my name in a form of dance which is an integral part of my life.


I then worked on the idea  using a person dancing to make out the letters of my name as dance is an expression of words and ideas through movements.

After a session of constructive criticism in tutorial, I decided to choose the bottom piece out of the two roughs as I felt the first was more an an engraving of my name on the wall instead of into the design.


This is my final prototype:
For my final prototype, I decided to use another person to further illustrate and integrate my name as my roughs were not pretty well integrated. Furthermore, I decided to give the entire piece a brick texture as I intended it to appear as if it was a graffiti on the wall. Dance and the street is the love of my life and I believe that this is a good portrayal of my name and what represents me well.

However, feedbacks obtained from my tutorial mates was that the letter 'g' in my name was not able to be seen clearly, therefore I came up with another interpretation of the letter 'g' into a capital letter 'G', and i tweaked the colors of the picture so that it appears more vibrant - a distinct feature of street life, especially hip hop dance.



"Art is a delayed echo."
-George Santayana

0 comments: